Another use for Tempeh Bacon: Veggie Cobb Salad
A classic Cobb salad is made from bacon, chicken, hard boiled egg, tomato, blue cheese and avocado over chopped greens, and dressed with a red wine vinaigrette. Here’s a vegetarian version that uses more of the tempeh bacon from the pasta carbonara recipe!
Veggie Cobb Salad
I omitted any chicken substitute because this salad has enough as is, but if you want to make this a truly “classic” Cobb, add seasoned seitan or baked tofu as well.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon coarse mustard
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic with some of the olive oil to make a paste. Whisk in the remaining olive oil, as well as the vinegar and lemon juice. Stir in the mustard and herbs. Add more oil or vinegar if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems discarded, chopped
- 4-5 slices tempeh bacon, chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, pits removed, cut into cubes
- 1 tomato, diced, or a generous handful of grape/ cherry tomatoes, with each halved
- 2 hardboiled eggs, chopped
- Blue cheese, crumbled
- Vinaigrette (recipe above)
In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce and watercress. Arrange the tempeh bacon, avocado, egg, tomato and blue cheese on top. Serve with vinaigrette, and toss all together table side. Enjoy!